Followers

We did not get as much done over the weekend as we should have. Yesterday seemed very strange - none of us here in the house were really in the best of moods and, while we didn't exactly clash, we weren't really clicking with each other either. So a lot of our energy went toward just sort of being around each other rather than working together all in the same direction, you know? I'm hoping that we can get back on track tonight. We'll see what happens. I fear that my scattered and distracted mood is driving this little breakdown - my husband, God love him, is a saint but I know that he is wearying of the vicissitudes of my pregnancy (probably as much or more than I am), plus the new semester starts this week and he is mentally gearing up for a significant amount of work since he is also TAing. Add in one toddler who is suddenly realizing as the nursery takes shape that something very odd is going on here and you've got one keyed up household.


I did manage to put two more casseroles in the freezer against the post-partum crazies. One was a pheasant and wild rice dish (made with chicken, since I did not have any pheasant handy) originally made for my by the mother of my college friend and roommate Lindsay. Lindsay and I are only in sporadic touch these days but I keep a psychic connection to her and our shared past by making this tasty, creamy concoction. The other item placed into the freezer was the much-lauded Bigos.


I promised a recipe and am happy to supply it (I've been told that every Polish family has their own, heirloom recipe which it is loathe to share - since I am not Polish but merely married to a man of Polish ancestry I do not consider myself bound by this tradition). There's one thing you must understand: Bigos looks awful. I mean, really awful. But it's delicious and, if you're lucky, your friends and family will refuse to eat it on the basis of its looks and then you won't have to share. With that out of the way, here goes: Dice and cook up about a pound of bacon (yes, you heard me). When it starts to give up its fat, throw in two diced onions and about half a pound of dice mushrooms (regular button mushrooms are fine). Cook this all up unti the bacon is nicely done, the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have given off some liquid. Add about a pound of previously cooked roast beef, in about a half inch dice. Let this warm up and stew a bit. Next, add about a pound of kielbasa or uncured polish sausage (if you can get it, the real kind is nicer, but supermarket brands will do), again diced up. Allow this to warm and stew a bit. Basically, you want a bit of time in between adding the meats and other ingredients to allow them to both impart and absorb flavors. Next, pour in a cup of a nice, hearty, non-sweet red wine and cook down over medium heat. Once the wine has cooked down a bit and blended with the meat and mushroom juices, add three cups shredded cabbage and a large can of sauerkraut. Mix well with the meats and cook until you can no longer really tell the difference between the fresh cabbage and the kraut. You can eat it that same day, but it really tastes better the next day after reheating.


That's it. Some people add a diced apple, others throw in tomatoes. You can do so if you like. The recipe is really forgiving - if you have more roast and less bacon, fine. If you have venison to put in, fine. Like more onions, fine. Whatever. The only constants as far as I can see are the bacon, saurkraut, cabbage and sausage. It's very filling, very warming and is just the thing to eat in front of a fire. Even better to throw some hot into a thermos and have it outside by a fire. For just a few minutes, you'll forget that you're cold.


Blog Archive