Followers

I got it in my head today that I needed to make a pound cake. So I pulled out a couple cookbooks and spent a couple hours trying to choose one. Of course, me being me, I couldn't just pick a recipe and run with it. No, that might be too straightforward, too results-guaranteed. So I picked two to combine - one a chocolate pound cake with chocolate glaze and the other a buttermilk almond variety. The result is in the oven as I type this. If it works, I'll post the recipe. It smells delicious so I've got some high hopes that it will one fantastic cake.


Yesterday was my last day of work. I am now officially either 1) on maternity leave or 2) unemployed, depending upon how you look at these things. I am planning a three month period of not formally working, but things being what they are these days one never knows so I'm putting together a plan of action to be executed over those three months to keep as many options as possible wide open. I'm looking to send cards and e-mails to keep in touch with contacts, finishing a book proposal, possibly applying for that job at the University (haven't quite decided on that one yet), and writing a business plan for my latest Big Idea. None of this may stick, of course, but at least I'll give myself some comfort knowing that I'm keeping active in pursuit of my goals.


I'm reading Madeline Albrights autobiography Madame Secretary and am finding it - and her - really amazing. I'm about half way through and am utterly astonished at her accomplishments, good humor, perserverance and all around capabilities. Not only am I getting a better understanding of world events that shaped the end of the last century, but I am in awe of her as a woman and a person. Even if you don't necessarily agree with her politics (let alone those of the administration she served) I heartily recommend her book. Truly amazing.

Blog Archive