Followers

Everything I've touched the last two days has turned into a major "Charlie Foxtrot" (as my dear, sainted Grandfather would say). Just one example: One of my clients has issued me a brand-new, whizbang laptop on which to work. Fine. I discovered yesterday that some of the software required for the project was not installed so I called up the support line to make arrangements to send the laptop back to have the software installed and then sent back to me. I also needed to have one piece of software registered, so I was going to ask them to handle that, as well, since they kept onsite all of the documentation. Simple plan, except for the fact that the IM group has absolutely no record of me, this laptop or how I got an e-mail address on the company's system. Basically, they sent me a piece of equipment worth many thousands of dollars and made no record of it at all. Because there is no paper trail for this machine, I cannot get software installed or registered. "So, let's create a paper trail right now," I suggested, reading the number off the inventory control tag on the bottom of the computer. No, can't do that, in case the original paperwork shows up - can't have duplicates. So now I'm just waiting while various people check their desks for the paperwork corresponding to me and the equipment. Until it's found, no alterations will be made. Who configured the machine in the first place? We'll have to check the documentation, once it's located. I also suggested that they check their UPS shipping logs to see who sent a package to Virginia recently, since that might prompt some recollection of who actually worked on it, but was told that they don't keep track of who ships what where.


This is just one of a series of nightmares, professional and personal, that have filled my days recently.


To cope, I've taken out my cross-stitch box. I made a couple nice cross-stitched bibs for my son when he was born and I thought I'd make a couple more now for the baby. There's something deeply therapeutic about needlepoint that helps to erase the stresses of the day. Plus, now that cooking is becoming more and more difficult as it's harder to be on my feet at the stove, it satisfies my need to do something domestic and nurturing.


To take my mind off of the computer problem I went out yesterday to buy a new diaper pail and changing pad. While I was in the babystuffstore I also picked up some infant tylenol, gas drops (when did they start costing $12.99 for such a little bottle? I guess they know that many parents would sell plasma to pay for anything that promised to ease their babe's discomforts - not to mention lesson the agonized yelling that accompanies said discomforts), freezer bags for milk and other little sundry items. I have to admit that I'm starting to enjoy these preparatory activities. It's very agreeable to spend an hour or two organizing for this little person and making the environment just right, particularly when I seem to be running into roadblocks everywhere else.

Blog Archive