Followers




Not a lovely day here in Charlottesville. Cold, misty, rainy, and just generally not pleasant (at least not what we've been led to expect over the last lovely weeks). Tonight is expected to be even worse, causing me to use quart size canning jars as cloches over some of the more tender new plantings so the money and effort they've already claimed is not wasted. I'm beginning to think that gardening is sort of like yacht or horse racing. Remember the old joke? How can you end up with a million dollars in horse racing? Start with 10 million. In gardening it's probably more like "Want to enjoy the beauty of $500 in new plants? Start with $1,500 in new plants."


I haven't come anywhere near spending this much, but I can see where it's possible. For example, I've become quite taken with double impatiens and decided that, this year, I'd like to have a few in what is now the ex-hosta bed. Turns out they're $3.00 a piece in my local garden center. Of course, the good folks at Burpee offered seed, but I'm still kind of klutzy when it comes to growing from seed so I decided to buy six and fill in with other stuff, like these beautiful confetti lantana. At these prices, though, I'm becoming more and more motivated to get my act together with regards to seeds. My new motto may become: buy perennials, grow annuals. That is, until I next visit the garden center and get sucked into buying some annual I'd never seen. My resolve is weak, indeed.


The strawberry jam turned out well. For the first time ever I'm actually pleased with the texture - not too firm (I hate jams and jellies that are like the skin on old gelatin desserts - shudder) - but not to loose. The color is also particularly fine. Occasionally I'll have a batch of jam that tastes fine but takes on a grey or brownish tone after processing. Fine for home use, but not terribly giftable. No problems here this time - I'm glad I took the time to do it. Giant has mangos on sale this week so I might make up a batch of mango jam this weekend. If I'm able to get to it my jam needs for the year will likely be covered. Think I'll stop? Yeah, right. Not with blueberry, raspberry and blackberry seasons still ahead. And let's not forget peaches and plums. A canner's work is never done.


Remember the tomato/olive relish/chutney/sauce thing I made the other night for the tuna? I came out just as I hoped it would. In fact, I'm going to look into the canning possibilities - i.e., whether or not it can be hot water processed or if pressure canning is more appropriate. Anyway, it's super easy: add to the heated contents of a jar or can of diced tomatoes (since I'm out of home canned, I used Muir Glen's fire roasted) two or three cloves of garlic in a very small dice, half a cup or so of cured black olives (kalamata or liguria are good) and a teaspoon or so of balsalmic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste, although you're unlikely to need much in the way of salt.


That's it. Just lovely on the tuna and my husband thought it would be good on a burger, too, although he's not to picky in that regard so who knows. A girlfriend suggested that if the olives and tomatoes were diced fine enough and enough liquid was cooked out it would make a lovely cracker or bread spread to go with an aperitif. Since there's nothing I like better than the prospect of cooking research that includes alcohol I'm going to try it on the next nice day. Here's hoping that Weather.com is wrong and that my chance to see if she's right will come sooner rather than later.

Blog Archive