Followers

I remember reading - before I had children - of an interview with a well known author who was asked why her writing contained longer sentences and more complex grammar as her career progressed. The author pointed out that her career progressed at the same time as her children grew and as the kids became older she was interrupted less and less. Hence, the ability to construct longer and more complex sentences.


I don't remember who the author was, when the interview took place or where I read about it (although, for some reason, I'm thinking that Toni Morrison is in here somewhere - but I don't know if she was the author, the interviewer or was recounting the tale), but I know exactly what she meant. As I look over my last few posts I'm deeply dissatisfied with the flow, syntax, grammar, spelling, flow and transition from thought to thought. I suppose it doesn't help that I am frequently trying to type with one hand. I feel as if I have so much to say, but current circumstances are interfering with my ability to communicate clearly. So I rush from point to point, just trying to get it all out. The results are predictable - poor writing and confusing narrative. I've never appreciated the term "mommy brain" and to be living this kind of mental discord is deeply distressing to me. I hope you'll hang with me as I navigate the next few months.


I'm still planning on posting the chocolate sauce recipe today, but it will likely happen this evening after bedtime for the Boy Wonder. I'm finding that I'm more balanced emotionally if I spend the morning on household tasks, the afternoon on professional tasks and then the evening on creative pursuits. Saving the more personally rewarding activities for the mid to late evening sends me off to bed relaxed and more ready to handle the vicissitudes of infant sleep.

Blog Archive