Followers

I am desparately seeking a recipe for mango pickle. We went for out for Indian the other day and neither my husband nor I could get enough of this amazing stuff - we put it on everything, no doubt causing our hosts to cringe. It was salty and hot and very, very orange (not to mention delicious). So now I'm craving it and although I could go back to the restaurant any time I want, I'd like to have some at home, too. So I'm hoping there's a recipe out there and that it's something I can process and store at home. Plus, it seems like it would be economical since it appeared to use the skin of the mango, which is something that I normally throw away (well, compost) when I make mango jam. An all-around winner of a condiment, I think. If I can't find a recipe on the Internet, I might try to make one up - Charlottesville has a store called Foods of All Nations which, if I recall correctly, carries a number of Indian product lines. Maybe I can buy a jar of something that seems similar and use it in replication efforts. Then, I'll just have to look into the acidity issue to make sure it can be canned safety. I can probably go to the cooperative extension for this. (As an aside, I once bought a jar of lime pickle, which was also good. I'd use it to top salt bagels smeared with cream cheese - a very good, if hellaciously salty, sandwich. I recommend it to salt fanatics everywhere, but don't tell your cardiologist that I told you about it. I'd just deny that I had anything to do with the idea.)

Blog Archive