Followers

My Dear Mr. Slater

Earlier this year I went on a bit of a Nigel Slater glom, reading every one of his books I could access through my local library system. I can't remember how it started or if I had any particular goals in mind - I only recall feeling a little let down with his pedantic style and presentation and not getting whatever it had been I was expecting. Laconic nearly to the point of inducing slumber, Slater's writing betrays little of the passion he says he feels about food and cooking. I read and read trying to find a clue as to why he is so beloved and respected until in The Kitchen Diaries he made disparaging comments about home-canned items given as gifts. This, as you might well imagine, I feel is a deal breaker and an appalling position for one who claims to support micro producers and local foodways.

In my own small way I feel called upon to try to rebalance the scale in favor of homecanned fabulousness - especially for gifting and for hosting. What I wouldn't give to be offered a piece of poundcake glazed with homemade apricot jam this holiday season instead of a gooey oversweet whatsit from the freezer section. Or be able to open a jar of chutney to pair with whole grain crackers rather than heat up some pre-made pastry thing. Or, or, or... You, too? Then let's do something about it.

Over the next weeks I'll be making and posting about a variety of canned foodstuffs that are not only delicious but also easy to make and suitable projects for home canners from novice to expert. Any can be given as wonderful gifts on their own or matched with inexpensive additions or can be kept aside for those days when you'd like to have friends over* but aren't up to the task or expense of shopping. If you don't already have water-bath canning gear and want to play along check out this post and consider about spending some of your grocery budget on supplies (including half- or quarter-pint jars) - or chip in with a friend or borrow if it's your first time. My own canning kettle is in use throughout the year and I count the money it cost as among the best I've ever spent, repaid many times over in savings and enjoyment.

What shall we make? These are the ideas I have, but I am nothing if not flexible. If there's something you'd like to try, do let me know and we'll see what can be done. I'll start with the following:

    Spiced honey
    Lemon-Sage Wine Mustard
    Roasted Red Pepper Spread
    Lime Chutney
    Thai Hot and Sweet Dipping Sauce

For each of these projects I'll post the recipe, some pics and a few ideas to maximize its gifting potential. If you're inspired to try some canning on your own, I'll hope you'll leave links to your projects in the comments so we can all learn together.

If Mr. Slater's been disappointed by gifts of homemade lusciousness in the past, my guess is he never received a present from one of us.


* You know how you're always saying you should have people over more? Yeah, me too. I'm seriously thinking that should be my New Year's Resolution - more people, more often.

Blog Archive