Followers

Today is the first installment of an irregularly occuring feature, Ask Hot Water Bath, wherein I answer questions that I have received via e-mail.




Q: "Where's the canning?"


A: Good question and, just you wait. We're coming up on garden season and that means it's all canning all the time around here. Last Saturday was the last day of soccer which means that all Saturday mornings from here on out are reserved for the farmer's market and obtaining canning fodder. I'm actively collecting new recipes to try and am mulling the purchase of a pressure canner to open an entirely new realm in my kitchen life.





Q: "Where do you get your pictures?"


A: All of the pictures I post are pictures that I have taken. The flower photos are of blooms in my garden. Notice that most of them are close-ups. I find this technique hides my lack of photographic ability - a conviction, no doubt, related to that held by those who believe that shouting will make them more understandable.





Q: "What kinds of vegetables do you pickle?"


A: I use the same "dilly bean" recipe that you can find all over the place (including somewhere in my archives, which I'll search out at the earliest opportunity) to can a variety of veggies. I've had great luck with asparagus, brussels sprouts, carrots and baby/cocktail onions (delicious and a ton of work - the peeling is a bitch). I've also done cauliflower which tasted great but turned an unapetizing shade of brownish-gray. Lately, I've been wondering how jicama or beets would do.





Q: "Do you really eat all the stuff you can?"


A: Yes. I don't can things that don't sound yummy to me. Any kind of sweet pickle or relish, for example. I do give away a lot of my canning production - home canned produce makes wonderful gifts. At least that's what my recipients tell me.

Blog Archive