Followers




This is Confetti Lantana. I bought several this year because it reminds me of J. We had noticed it last year planted around her community's pool and both thought it was very pretty. Down in South Carolina, Lantana grows big and bushy with many blooms all over. Here in Virginia it stays much smaller, although I've enjoyed a lot more - and continuous - bloom than the nursery man suggested I would. I'm finding this very comforting. As if J. were watching and making sure that "our" flowers would be so nice.


I've been actively looking around for mushroom ketchup recipes and have narrowed the selection down to a few that I'll mess around with before settling on either one or a combination. In the process of Project: Ketchup I've also come across a recipe for can-able jerk sauce.


Now, I'd walk many miles for the promise of a good piece of jerked chicken or fish so this bears looking into. How cool would it be to have a few half pint jars of jerk sauce on hand and not be required to go through a lengthy preparation process whenever you wanted it or, worse, spend lots more money buying a prepared sauce or going out? My plan is to make a single batch sometime this week and see how well we like it. If all goes well, the full recipe makes several pints so that should be enough for a year or more.


First, though, I must make more pickled carrots. We're down to two jars and our dill has some heads I want to use so that it doesn't bolt so quickly. The carrots will be short work, though, and should leave some time for experimentation on the ketchup and/or jerk later this week. I'm really looking forward to it - I love being in the kitchen trying something new.


Finally, my husband did the unthinkable last night. He went out to buy some ice cream and came home with a half gallon, some sprinkles, whipped cream and...chocolate sauce. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Well, I wouldn't have actually cried, since it's not that big a deal, but you know what I mean. I was unpacking the bag, saw the chocolate and walked over to the canning cupboard. Calmly opening the door, I asked him if he remembered a couple weeks ago when I made several pints of chocolate sauce. He looked utterly blank for a moment and then slightly sheepish. As I say, though, not a big deal. What's the worst thing, here? That we now have more chocolate in the house?

Blog Archive