Followers

I actually took a picture of my big ole' bowl of to-be-jarred salsa. I really did. But, as I'm sitting here very comfortably, sipping a homemade limeade, the odds are increasingly slim that I'll actually stand up, walk to the dining room, take the camera out of its drawer (yes! we keep the camera in the dining room, no where near the computer - this could explain why I never have any pictures), walk back to my desk, connect it, turn it on and...see? It's just not happening. You can picture it, though, right? Big glass bowl? Filled with chopped veggies and looking (mostly) green? Good! That's exactly what it looks like.

I don't actually have a recipe for the salsa, just a list of ingredients with which I mess around until I get something I think tastes good. Even if the result is different from batch to batch I'm able to respond to nuances in the ingredients (some tomatillas are tangier than others, for example, and some onions sharper) and also contrive to use up bits of remainders hanging out in the fridge. It's an approach I like to take with many things, come to think of it.

This bowl has about four pounds of tomatillas (minced), half of a large yellow onion (chopped), half of a large red onion (chopped), a head of garlic (minced), salt and pepper, a chopped hot pepper, a fist full of cilantro (chopped) and a splash or two of cider vinegar. Good stuff.

Processing the salsa tonight (15 minutes in a boiling hot water bath) took care of one of my weekend projects. The other, my sister's birthday tote, is marked but as yet uncut and oh-so-far from completion. I've been in canning and knitting world lately but really need to get back to sewing for a while - too many things started but not completed and wanted before the summer is out (like, sundresses for the girl and a linen skirt for myself - can't imagine wanting them in, say, November which is when I'll get to it if I don't shape up). Then again, if I order the Darn Good Yarn I've been scoping, my return to the sewing machine might be delayed further.

Too many hobbies, so little time.

Blog Archive