Followers

I have a confession to make.

For all my enthusiasm about real cooking and baking from scratch (not to mention my zeal - bordering on the annoying, I realize - in encouraging others to do the same) I have long nursed a deep, dark secret that is in direct opposition to these ideals. I hope you will not think less of me when I reveal that...

...I use (and enjoy) those Jiffy corn muffin mixes. I've managed not to feel to much guilt about this, what with the mix priced at roughly 3 for a dollar and the fact that David Rosengarten himself once declared their perfection for certain applications (although plain old corn muffins weren't among them). Plus, the mix and its results clearly pass the Michael Pollan Great-great-grandmother food recognition test." With these justifications in my corner I could remain blissfully unrepentant.

Well, maybe not so blissful nor so unrepentant. The idea of homemade cornbread nagged at me. I knew that it would not be hard to make and I knew that I already had even single necessary ingredient in my kitchen. I wish I could say I also knew why I never actually made my own, but I do not. Last week I stumbled upon the push I needed.

I don't recall how I found Stop the Ride but I am glad that I did. Stephanie, bless her heart, is sponsoring a Make it From Scratch contest and upon reading her proposition I almost immediately came up with two ideas (one being cornbread and the other being a tutu for Entropy Girl, but that is a subject for another post).

And that is how I came to make cornbread.



To make a 9X9 pan of cornbread, mix well together one cup each of all-purpose flour and cornmeal, 1/3 cup white sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 1 t. salt, 1 cup milk, 2 eggs and 1/4 cup softened butter. Pour batter into a prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes in a pre-heated 425 degree oven. The bread should be slightly golden brown on top and a skewer inserted into the center will come out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes or so before attempting to remove from the pan. This is nearly as fast, just as easy and even better tasting than the mix.

That I silenced that nagging voice reminding me that cornbread is easy and delicious is even more satisfying than this simple recipe. Oh, and if you're balking at purchasing cornmeal on the ground that it makes no sense to have a single-use ingredient on hand (a very logical argument) go ahead and buy some anyway and later this week we can talk about empanadas. In the meantime, enjoy the cornbread and the accompanying pleasure of having made it from scratch with your very own hands, no boxes involved.

Blog Archive