Followers

A thousand apologies, Internet friends. I just cannot figure out this Beta Blogger thing and every day brings a fresh new blogging hell. It has been rough. Press on, though, shall we?

As I type I am sitting (alone!)in a Wegman's internet cafe place, sipping a decaf gingerbread latte (oh my God I have hit coffee bottom with this one - absolutely no coffee cred left it seems - but wow is it delicious) and enjoying a spot of their free wireless. Despite the pain eminating from my ankles, knees, hips, wrists and back from last night's 2 a.m. fall down the stairs I must say that this whole set-up is rather nice. It would be nicer if I had an Advil or three, but no complaints.

I had planned to finally post that review of I Want My Dinner Now but I think I will do that tomorrow. Instead, I want to share the following, with the review coming later this week (I promise. No, really, I swear.):

Entropy Girl and the Boy Wonder both have swimming lessons on Saturday morning. Entropy Girl's are a half hour, and she is the oldest kid in the class, at 32 months. Most of the other little "pikes" in the "pike and parent" class are anywhere from nine through 24 months. Anyway, at every class the teachers have us stand in a circle in the shallow end holding our babes and ask a question about the children. The first week it was the kids' names and birthdays and the second week was their favorite food - you know, pretty benign get-to-know-you stuff. Two weeks ago we were asked for favorite games. Fair enough. Entropy Girl likes to play Hungry Hippos and have pretend tea parties. Little Shaney likes her toy ponies, Everitt likes balls and so on and so forth. We get to the last dad in the circle who proudly holds his not-yet-toddler in front of him, clears his throat, beams and proclaims "Atticus loves flashcards!"

I was sure he was being ironic and didn't bother to stifle my guffaw. Turns out he was most definitely not being ironic and shot me dirty looks for the rest of the session. This week he stared right at me, holding my gaze as if daring me to laugh, while he answered the question as to favorite television shows thusly: "Atticus prefers books to television. He finds them more stimulating." Holding to the community spirit of the YMCA, I held my giggle and merely rolled my eyes. No doubt next week's question will involve career aspirations and we will learn that Atticus is scheduled to sit for the bar.

Blog Archive