Followers

Tonight's weather forecast carries a frost warning for tomorrow morning. Lovely. So the (few unplanted) petunias will need to come in tonight - because they'll be needed to replace the ones I've already planted!, along with the tomatoes, peppers and herbs that the Boy Wonder and I (perhaps over-) enthusiastically purchased on Monday. All week I've been bemoaning the lack of time that prevented us from getting them in the ground but now, of course, our busyness is like a gift designed to keep us from wasting a not-insignificant sum in veggie starts. But then there are the seeds. The Boy wanted desparately to plant some melons and pumpkins and so we did, and now may end up having to reseed them. Of course, if it comes to that I'll probably reseed with out telling him. I'd hate to have him discover at such a tender age the frustration that gardening can bring no matter how much you love it.

The open house went well. We enjoyed meeting some new people and have time to visit with those neighbors we had already met and the kids behaved beautifully - so an all around successful afternoon by my count, despite the gloomy weather. I ended up making one extra dessert from a recipe given to me by my sister in law just the night before. I don't know where she found it, but it bears sharing here because it's not often that one encounters a cookie so easy to make and which offers such great results with so little effort. I don't know if there's an official name for these, so I'll just call them...

Nutella Crisps - Place about a teaspoon of Nutella in the center of a dumpling wrapper. Fold the wrapper corner-to-corner, forming a triangle and encasing the Nutella. Seal with water or beaten egg. When you've made as many of these as you want, heat about half an inch of veggie oil to the point when a small piece of wrapper sizzles right away when put in the pan. Then begin frying the triangles a few at a time, taking care to avoid crowding and turning each after 20-30 seconds so that each side becomes golden. When done, remove each crisp to a towel-covered plate to drain. When cooled completely, remove to another plate and cover. The crisps may be made a day ahead and reheated in a 250 degree oven. To serve, pile on a pretty plate and sift powdered sugar over all.

Blog Archive