Followers

Well, we're back. It was a good trip in many ways but I am relieved to be back. In addition to the joys and stresses of spending so much time with people I typically see only a couple times per year, I have brought back a medical condition that I call the plague (although my doctor seems to think it's a cold - I wonder where she went to med school). The boy has officially contracted Over-Indulged, Under-Rested Toddler Syndrome, a malady more dreadful than most of what Hollywood offers up in horror films. It's very nice to be home.


As a result of my coughing and hacking and my husband's study load, we've cancelled the Thanksgiving trip to Philadelphia. I have some mixed emotions about this, but mostly I'm feeling insanely glad not to be going. We're going to miss an awful lot that we wanted to do and see, but with so much post-vacation laundry/cleaning to do, not feeling well, being way too pregnant to be pleasant and just plain tired it's probably all for the best. So it's Thankgiving at home for us and I'm actually pretty pleased about it.


I won't be making a turkey, but rather will dust off a favorite recipe from an old Martha Stewart Living: pasta shells stuffed with crab. Basically, you make a bechemel sauce with crab, stuff it into prepared shells, top with more sauce, garlic, cheese and bread crumbs and bake. It's rich, filling, indulgent and wonderful. With a good bread and salad dressed in a nice sharp vinaigrette it just can't be beat. For dessert I'll make the chocolate bread pudding I neglected for the bonfire party. Our little family, all together, (mostly) healthy, happy and as safe as it's probably possible to be in this world. Excellent reasons for thanksgiving.


Blog Archive