Followers

Much multi-tasking going on here today at Hot Water Bath. First, the Halloween decorations are coming down (and being put away on the same day - shocker!) and Christmas decorations are being moved from the darkest reaches of the basement to the bottom of the stairs so that they're more easily accessible once we return from Thanksgiving. I'm also running errands (CVS for buy-one-get-one Christmas candy and "non-aspirin pain reliever"), the library (return books) and to the pet sitter's (drop off keys). I also want to finish the out-of-town Christmas present wrapping, wash the sheets and towels and complete the packing process for the impending trip to Florida (10 days, with one day home before turning in the opposite direction for Philly).


All of this is hopefully getting done around work requirements. I'm trying to learn a new publishing tool today so that I can get moving on some deadlines that are rapidly approaching. It doesn't help that I was supposed to have received the stuff from the client oh, about a month ago and I just got it on Friday. The deadline hasn't been adjusted so I'm going a little crazy trying to adjust my own timeline to get everything done. Still, I'm kind of a sucker for learning new software - seems like a game - that I'm able to keep from being too frustrated. I have not yet told my parents that the trip to Florida with them has become a working holiday. My dad might understand, but my mom will thoroughly disapprove since she expects her girls to be recreation-ready at all times and finds work for pay (for either gender) a little unseemly and probably more trouble than it's worth (truthfully, I've long suspected that she's on to something here). Plus, since my parents very much enjoy their grandkids, but do not appreciate actually babysitting them, I will have to be creative about how the work actually gets done. No worries.


In preparation for the trip I have decided to forego my ritual pre-trip cleaning of the house. Because my husband is not going with us and will be - I hesitate to use the word "unsupervised" but that's the thrust of it - in the house on his own, there is absolutely no value to my doing a spit and polish before I leave. The dear man has many charms and excellent qualities, but tidiness is not one of them and I know that I will not arrive home to a clean house so why bother? On the other hand, I will clean in the 36 hour break between arriving home from Florida and leaving for Philly because he's coming with for the second trip and I will be more assured no housekeeping surprises when we get back. Besides, I figure it's better to know our limitations than risk a scene of nagging and anger when I return. We've known each other for 13 years and I am proud that I have grown as a person to just let this go. He cannot see dirt or clutter and will not clean and that's that. In return, I am hoping to get him to accept without question one or more of my irrational habits (I don't think I have any, but I am assured otherwise).


Off now to pick items from the canning cupboard for my sisters' stocking stuffer gifts. I'm pretty sure that my oldest sister will be receiving pomegranate jelly while my youngest sister is getting chocolate sauce, but I'll have to see if I'm inspired otherwise while standing at the open cupboard. I've asked for a jar of my brother-in-law's salsa and was informed that there's a waiting list (like for a Prada bag or the hot new MAC lipstick color?) and there may be a pre-Christmas lottery. And so the pressures of the season commence.

Blog Archive