Followers

I was inspired this morning to go grocery shopping quite early and get it out of the way before the day started to get away from me. Because I work at home I can usually take care of these kinds of errands whenever I feel like it but more and more I feel like it ruins my day to have to deal with a supermarket and I've begun to put it off. Early on a crisp, clear fall day it felt more like a pleasure to head out just after rush hour to take care of it. Plus, getting it done today may pay off in other dividends - UVA is playing FSU here in town this weekend and I've been told by those in the know not to even try to head into the city or get anywhere near it, for that matter. So if we're sticking close to home this weekend, it's nice to know that there is some decent food in the house.


I must be started to get a little nesty, because I as I was pushing my cart around I started to think of all the stuff I wanted to cook. I bought supplies for bigos, black bean soup, split pea soup, potatoes grantinee, roast chicken and lots more. The soups I'll do and then freeze, since there's nothing better than to be able to pull something like that out of the freezer when you think there's nothing to eat and you don't feel like going anywhere. In front of a fire with a glass of cider and a hunk of good bread a nice thick soup is like heaven.


I'm going to roast the chicken for dinner tonight. Along side will be succotash (don't say "yuk"- it's really yummy), the aforementioned potatoes gratinee (bought a nice gruyere for the occasion), and a green salad.


Here's how I'll make the succotash - it's based on a Laurie Colwin recipe that I think she, in turn, took from a friend. I start by sauteeing a small diced onion in about 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. When the onion becomes translucent, I add two parts frozen or canned corn, two parts frozen lima beans and one part frozen sliced okra. Cook, stirring frequently, until all the veggies are heated through and the liquid is mostly absorbed or evaporated. Add a bit more butter to taste and season with salt and pepper. Hmm...I'm getting hungy already.

Blog Archive