Followers

I haven't done any canning since the brussels sprouts last week. Work has been busy and now that I've realized that our bonfire party is only a week away followed rapidly by a host of other activities I'm not sure if I'll ever get to that applesauce. I'm sad about this, but in the pantheon of trade-offs it doesn't rank very high.


Just because I haven't been canning, though, doesn't mean I haven't been preserving. This is the time of year I renew my supply of flavored oils and vinegars. I tend not to get to fancy with these - basil vinegar, garlic/pepper oil, garlic vinegar and so on - but I still like to have them around. It's very short work to delicious marinades and salad dressings once you've got a supply of this stuff on hand and it's much cheaper to make your own than buy them, even if you choose to get fancier than I. I use old Grolsch bottles or the kind from the fancy lemonade you buy at Whole Foods. My sister also made me a set of really great etched wine bottles, which I stop with a cork. So even though the applesauce remains undone, I still feel the warm glow of accomplishment.


I had a minor meltdown last weekend when I realized that I have roughly 15 weeks (give or take a fortnight) left of pregnancy. This made me very happy until I realized that these 15 weeks will have to encompass:


    The Biomed pigroast (those engineers sure can party)


    Our bonfire party


    Halloween (more specifically, completing my son's Race Car Driver costume)


    A quick business trip to Philly


    A 10 day trip to Florida with the extended family


    Thanksgiving in Philly


    Another quick business trip to Philly


    Christmas


    New Years in Philly


    Wrapping up the project I'm working on


    Preparing the nursery (paint, chair rail, moving the current furniture out, moving baby furniture in)


    Painting the rocking chair


    Other home improvement we really want to do: painting the bathrooms, buying a comfy chair for the TV room, finishing the bed my husband made for us)


    Actually having the baby


And this doesn't take into account the stuff I've said "no" to (my soon-to-be-born nephew's Christening, Christmas in either Philly or Buffalo, a Christmas party the week prior in Philly). I simply do not have time - I'm just going to have to be pregnant for 50, maybe 55, weeks.

Blog Archive