Followers

O.K., it's like this. While I've bought everything I need for the chocolate sauce (I already had cocoa, but I got some nice maple syrup -!- and some other stuff, too) it didn't get done last weekend. I'm not sure why, but I think we were really busy. The strange thing is that I can't remember a thing that we did. Anyway, provided that Isabel doesn't wreak too much havoc on my central Virginia home, I'll try it this weekend - promise.


As I write this, the lights are flickering. We've already lost one 15 foot pine tree that fell just a few feet from the house in a snap that sounded much like a gunshot. A few roofing tiles are lost and we've sprung some leaks in the basement, but otherwise all is well as we approach the peak of the storm. To prepare for possibly losing our power, I've baked some potatoes that could be easily reheated in the fireplace and put an array of mason jars on the counter, ready to be opened. The biscuits are ready for a smear of pumpkin butter - an excellent breakfast even if you do have electricity. Tuna sandwiches will be enlivened with some pickled carrots and a little chutney will go a long way toward perking up lukewarm steak - pregrilled and warmed near the flame of the fire. Thanks to Izzy, I suddenly remember why I can.


Gifts of memory can come from the strangest places. So can inspiration and I spent the morning making lists of all that I need to get started with: apple pie filling, apple sauce, more pickles, and so on. But most of all, that chocolate sauce.

Blog Archive