Followers

Thank Goodness I Canned: Pickled Hot Peppers

We use a lot of pickled jalapenos here. They’re good on pizza, nachos (one of my quick dinner standbys and one that can be made in a fairly healthy manner, by the way) burgers and sandwiches of all kinds and for adding a bit of a jolt to grilled meats and kebabs. The canning brine (I use a very standard 2 parts vinegar, 2 parts water, 1/2 part kosher salt) can likewise be used in marinades, drinks (yes! Really!), as a stir-in for plain rice or potatoes, or to punch up the flavor in all kinds of otherwise insipid dishes.

A few evenings past I arrived home feeling snacky and cocktailish and in absolutely no rush to get to the usual weeknight dinner routine. Perhaps it was the planned meal of leftovers that proved less than inspiring or maybe seeing the sun for the first time in at least a week was the cause, I don’t know. Either way, I wanted to capture a bit of languorous leisure before jumping into the post-workday fray. Trouble is, we’re down to not all that much on the shelves at the moment (which is why I planned on serving those uninspiring leftovers in the first place). Just as I was closing the refrigerator door and about to issue a dejected sigh, I spied what I’m fairly sure is the last jar of pickled jalapenos. There were possibilities in that there jar.


A bit more scrounging brought up some chevre, a lonely scallion and a box of Triscuits which Brainiac must have bought because I know that I didn’t. No matter. With these three ingredients, I had the makings of a simple and much-welcomed zippy little nibble. With more forethought, a bottle of vinho verde would have been chilled and ready to provide a perfect mineral counterpoint. Without the benefit of such planning, a cheeky Mike's Hard Cranberry served the role well enough. Together, the crackers and Mike's, enjoyed with my equally worn-out husband, were exactly the home-based Happy Hour we didn't know that we desperately needed, no matter how much it had been wanted.

The full recipe for the cheesy pepper snacks can be found at the Hot Water Bath Facebook group. Come on over - we'd love to hear your favorite uses for pickled hot peppers, too. Do tell!

Blog Archive