Followers

Jezebel Cannerbel

Online mag Jezebel published a first-person essay on canning today, prompting a very long and hugely entertaining comments thread. It's hard to say where readers are coming down on canning, pro or con, after the author's unequivocal stance of anti-.

Go, read, enjoy. Then come back and share your thoughts. The most thrilling aspect of the discussion to me is that so many people had experiences to relate - either they were intimately involved in a canning project or have known and loved others who were. And, truthfully, although the stories of canning-gone-wrong made me cringe a bit (I feel a certain amount of pressure to relate only success stories but goodness knows I hear of/experience my share of failures) they're mostly pretty funny. I wonder if I'd ever gone through with the ill-conceived Orangina project if I'd make someone laugh as hard as I have reading some of these. It's almost worth trying again to find out.

Blog Archive