Followers

Iron Lady

I once read a quote, attributed to Margaret Thatcher, that sticks with me these many years later. The gist of the idea goes like this: Think of a day that finishes with you very happy and satisfied and you will note that it's not a day when you did nothing; rather it is the day when you had everything to do and did it all.

Being a woman disposed to action, I found in these words something of a motto. I weary of navel gazing, long bouts of speculative cogitation without execution and the "ready, aim, aim, aim..." without ever reaching "fire" that typifies so much of life. My patience is short with those who have more excuses than accomplishments (note that I'm not talking - necessarily - about financial and/or professional success; I take a broader view). It is not in my nature to let the wind take me where it will; I have a plan. I have lists. I have flow-charts and forms and all manner of organizational savvy. This is my comfort zone.

So when the times come, as they inevitably do, when I forget a birthday, write but don't mail a thank you note, let my sharpish tongue loose ill-advisedly, I will call up the memory of a day like today. Today we had everything to do and we have done it. Every last line on the list (started by me and Brainaic on Thursday, as is our custom, adding to it right up until we arrive home on Friday evening when the checking-off begins) has been struck and I am considering framing the the result, one slightly worn and very much scribbled-upon piece of repurposed memo.

From remembering the scarves for the Seamen's Church Institute as we breezed out the door for church to defrosting the freezer to changing my car's oil to five loads of laundry washed and dried/hung, I am full of the warm glow of achievement. Food has been made and packed for the upcoming week of football practice, scout meetings, committee meetings, school events and preschool lunch bunch, and broth has been created from the remains of this evening's chicken. I managed to buy a much-needed purse (on sale! Thank you, Columbus) and Brainiac remembered his promise to take the Boy to the driving range, enjoying the fine weather of a perhaps-early Little Summer. I staged a family story time, painted the Girl's fingernails a lovely soft pink, and cheered Brainiac's latest protoyping project. A more glorious day would be hard for me to imagine for we not only were able to do these things but so very appreciative and a grateful for the privilege of having them to do.

And yet. The sun set several hours ago now and in the quiet night my thoughts turn to wondering what trouble or dismay, personal and not, may meet me tomorrow. The twin specters of private fears and public dread fight to crowd my satisfaction in what I know to have been a wonderfully productive time. Still. Whatever the week brings, in my family or in the world, my essential nature is comforted in knowing that life's lists are never totally scratched complete. We have done much and there is much to do. We will do it.

Blog Archive