Followers

We've been Netflix customers for some time now, having joined in the first place because we aren't exactly at what you'd call an optimum level of returning rented movies on time. Since we never actually go to the cinema (I haven't been since the first Harry Potter and Brainiac probably since the second-to-last Star Trek) and our public library charges for movies (and is a trigger for the aforementioned not-returning problem), the comparatively nominal Netflix fees are a downright steal and, with nearly 200 items in my queue (the result of years of non-movie goingness) I have settled in for a nice, long relationship with the company.

My feelings on the subject became even more rosy with the discovery that Netflix carries a whole genre that I hadn't even noticed before - something called "Special Interest" - which carries a whole series of Martha Stewart holiday- and entertaining-related DVDs, as well as gardening and spoken word and theater arts and....well, as someone who prefers reading non-fiction, it's like finding a whole new arm of the Dewey Decimal System.

Last night I watched Martha's Halloween DVD, which I found charming (especially the bit about using a keyhole saw to carve pumpkins - doh! never thought of it). I don't generally "do" Halloween, but I like thinking about what I might try if I did. Next up (after we return the Girl's choice of Mary Poppins) is Martha's Thanksgiving disk. And then there's Alton Brown's first Feasting on Asphalt and Julia Child's original French Chef series and Flower Power and...it's just all so great. If possible, I am now even more in love with Netflix.

As a DIY junkie, I might just have found the perfect enabler.

Blog Archive