Followers

Well, this just figures. I've been trying to get into Blogger to update all day and haven't been able to connect. Now I've given one last try and it's time to put the Boy Wonder to bed. Then I'm going to do a spot of work, a load of laundry, and take a nice long shower before heading off to my own dreams.

Drat. Well, my discussion of blueberry pie filling will just have to wait. If all goes well I'll actually be buying the berries tomorrow for canning on Saturday. I'm pretty sure I've got all the ingredients although a quick once over of the recipe is probably a good idea.

One last thing for today: Since I became a mother nearly four years ago I've read all kinds of sort-of political treatises about motherhood, mothering and the general treatment and perception of mothers in the U.S. as compared to other countries. To a one, each of these books has included an anecdote about some mom who has decided to stay at home with her young children who is at a cocktail party (it's never any other kind of gathering - always cocktails) and answers the question "What do you do" by saying "I'm at home with my kids" only to find the questioner looking over her shoulder seeking a more interesting/useful person to talk to. The story is warning to all who would stay at home that people will treat you horribly, but that you should press on with your noble cause nonetheless because (let's all say it together now) it's the most important job in the world.

I have two questions: who's giving all these cocktail parties? And why am I never invited?

Blog Archive