Followers

I've just said farewell to my parents, who are on their way back to Buffalo. My mom had been staying with us since the baby was born nearly two weeks ago and my father came to pick her up on Wednesday. It was a very nice visit - my mom is a very good grandmother, involved and nurturing, and was a tremendous help to all of us during these twelve days. I don't know how we could have survived without her to do crafts with the Boy Wonder, do laundry, cook dinner, wash dishes and just generally be a reassuring presence. Plus, this was the longest my mom and I have been under the same roof since I was 17 and we only had one tense conversation. I'm very sad that she's gone now but I know she needs to resume her own life - and, my nephew is being Christened on Sunday (my parents now have six grandchildren under the age of four - the last several years have been a blur of showers, Baptisms, and birthdays) and she needs to get home in time.


So now the girl and I are alone together. I'm sure we'll do fine - the nursing is going well, she's sleeping up to four hours at a stretch and there are plenty of clean clothes in the dresser - but I'm suddenly aware that I am now utterly responsible for two little lives and this thought brings me up a little short. I hope I'm mom enough for the task.

Blog Archive