Followers

O.K...the goods have been purchased and tomorrow's the big day. Ginger preserves will finally be mine. Most of the recipes have ginger (natch), sugar, water and either pectin or cream of tartar, which kind of puzzles me. They don't strike me as interchangeable, certainly, but I can't figure out why the recipes I've found have one or the other, but not both or even neither. Strange. If I were scientific by nature, like my husband, I'd set up some elaborate experiment, with a control group and everything, but I just don't care that much. I'm going with the pectin, because that's what's on the shelf.


Today was my son's first day back at school since we pulled him out in favor of home care over a year ago. Now Luciana, our beloved and most esteemed au pair, must return to Brazil and our family will definitely be the poorer for her departure. We're starting school a bit early so that Luciana can help with the transition and so the babe doesn't suffer abandonment issues. We'll very likely have another au pair someday soon, but for now school is a good option because he hasn't had a play date since we moved and we just don't know anyone here who has kids. My son is an engaging kid, though, so I'm sure he'll have little friends soon.


Since I had to pack a lunch today (something I haven't done very often since my son has mostly been cared for at home) I put together some of his favorite things - including mango jam on wheat bread. Even his teacher commented how great it smelled - maybe I'll give her a jar for teacher appreciation day (coming up soon!). If there's one thing I've learned from my friends who have multiple children in preschool or day care, a little buttering up never hurt. In this case, it'll be mangoing up, but I'll brown nose any teacher who has my son's daytime happiness in his or her hands. Heck, if she said she liked my outfit, I'd probably strip right then and there and hand it over. Then again, if my understanding of the economics of child care are correct, maybe she'd just like a little cash.

Blog Archive